Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Secrets I Share with my Cats

           As I sit in a veritable puddle of my own tears, I realize that this whole healthy relationship thing is exceptionally difficult. I suppose that everyone else has this figured out already, but I’m often late to the party. From the look on his face, I can tell that this is not nearly as bad as it seems from the inside. No, it is much, much worse. As my life rushes through my mind as fast as… well, faster than… the speed of light; It’s the speed of the darkness that’s left when the star has been dead for so long that the light has already passed through the retina, through the complex folds of my brain, through the back of my skull and beyond… as my life rushes by, it’s clear that his has suspended completely. He is frozen, mouth agape, wondering how still he must be in order to let this reality slip by and go back to the reality in which things made sense to him.
                
            But here we are. Both of us afraid, of life certainly, but more immediately, of me. Clearly I’m volatile. Clearly I’m unstable. Clearly I’m so fucked up that this man who thought that he had cornered the market on mental illness is afraid to move. But it’s beyond my control. And so I sit and cry ravines into my face while the cats bathe themselves in my lap like this is a completely normal situation. The sad truth: it is. I don’t know where all the tears come from. I don’t even think I’m a particularly sad individual, but then there they are. Out of the blue. Unwelcome guests that swoop out from my core like ephemeral demons off the tip of a flame. I’m used to it <shrug>. But to expect someone else to embrace it… that’s ludicrous. Cat ladies become so for a reason.
                 
               Back to the issue at hand, though, there is a man in my living room who loves me and does not understand what is happening. He wants to know why the fact that he would like to go feed his fish seems to be the greatest tragedy of my life. He doesn’t seem to hear things the way that I do. He heard, “Hey, I’m going to go feed my fish.” I heard, “You disgust me and I can’t stand sitting on this couch with you and your stupid cats thinking how I ended up with such a fat, useless, mean, and fundamentally uninteresting person. I am now going to lie to you about my pescal responsibilities in a desperate attempt to get out of this place.”
                
                How can he not understand that? What an idiot! Didn’t his mother teach him that every word that comes out of another person’s mouth is laced with hidden meaning and degradation? Guess she really dropped the ball on that one, eh? So he’s obviously ill-equipped for this situation and decides that dealing in reality will bring about some sort of resolution. A cautious start, “You’re upset.” I return the serve, “Whatever, it’s fine.” Ok, the volley continues,
               
                “It doesn’t seem fine.”
                “Just go, it’s fine.”
                “If it was fine, you wouldn’t be crying.”
                Oof. “Whatever, you’re going to do what you want                                anyway.”
                Ungh. “What is that supposed to mean?”
                Gah. “You don’t care what I want, so just go.”
                Fuhf. “What are you talking about?!”
                
               The ball bounces to a halt and I throw down my racquet. I don’t want to fight. I don’t know how this turned into a fight. I just want him to love me, that’s all. I want to know it in my heart. I want to not need him to say it constantly. I want to not want him to scoop me up in my teary mess and tell me that he’s not going to leave, that it’s ok to be sad, that I’m just a human being and I don’t need to have my shit together all the time… that normal people won’t circle around you like a vulture and start picking at the soft flesh of your belly before you’ve even stopped breathing. I want him to know without asking that what I know of love is not something that people would want in their lives. What I know of love is that it’s dark and ugly and painful. What I know of love is that, at worst it’s traumatic, and at best it’s distant. What I know of love is that regardless of how strong it is, it doesn’t stop people from hurting you or just leaving. I don’t want to need him to convince me that it can be different…

…But I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment